4.28.2005

The Next (Brief) Chapter


"This opens the door on another
chapter of history."
~~Walter Cronkite~~

The unexpected life is sometimes a bittersweet reality.

I’m all moved out of my old apartment and moved into my new one. I’ve got 3 ½ months before I pack it all up and do it again. So, this is a brief chapter in my life I was not expecting. My life is turning out to be a series of brief chapters, actually. Interludes.

Five years ago when I got married, I thought it was for life. I really did. Call it youthful naivety. Call it Christian optimism. One million broken promises, ten thousand arguments, two daughters, and one final judgment later, my thoughts have proven flawed.

One year ago when I moved in with my roommates, Tom and Eric, I thought I was embarking on a bold new adventure. We had a housewarming party where I prepared a toast to the journey we had set out on. It’s too bad only a few people showed up (well after midnight) and my toast was never heard. Regardless, it was a bold new adventure for me. I had hopes our friendship would stand the test of time and the test of close quarters. One million misunderstandings, a long period of unemployment, and an unforeseen eviction later, my hopes have been dashed upon the rocks.

I’ve entered yet another chapter of my life. I’m not entirely sure how it’ll all turn out. I’ve moved in with two close friends whom I have had disagreements and arguments with throughout the 8 years I have known them. Our friendships have been tested by fire. This will be no different. Then again, it just might be.

This chapter has ‘Brief’ written all over it. As a matter of fact, its almost a last hurrah when I think about it at length. In 3 ½ months I’m moving to Rochester College and will undoubtedly experience a whole new sphere of friends and friendships where our shared experience as college students on the same campus will bind us together. One of my new roommates is moving to Arizona to become part of a core team of church planters in the Tempe area the day after I leave for school. As for our third roommate, I’m not sure what he’s going to do, but I don’t foresee his abilities keeping him here forever. So, I find this is a brief chapter in the story of our lives, mine in particular, that turns the plot, closing out certain aspects of the story that have taken place thusfar.

What does the future hold? Besides the stuff that was blatantly my fault, why have I gone through so much pain in order to get me wherever it is God is directing me? My pastor, Craig, offered me some awesome counsel that really encouraged me. The tough times, the changing of the guard, the end of my dreams to finally pursue the dreams of God. These are the times when God is molding me and changing me into the vessel He dreams of using to do His work. Most of the time, the molding process sucks. The unexpected life coupled with my own sin nature doesn’t help matters, either.

You know, I have no idea what the heck God is up to. I don’t. Guess I’ll find out when He publishes the story of my life. Hopefully, this chapter I’m in ends up being a cool one.

5 Comments:

At Thursday, April 28, 2005 12:25:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Rochester College eh? I met a Bible professor from there when he preached in Portland, OR. David Fleer is his name. Good luck to you.

 
At Thursday, April 28, 2005 7:58:00 AM, Blogger Jenny Veleke said...

Wow, even guilt-tripping your own mom into leaving a comment!!
Anyway, I think you just need to be like Abraham when God told him to pack up and move. God didn't even feel the need to tell Abraham where he was leading him, but Abraham was obedient and followed blindly. At least you have the advantage of knowing your next, although probably not final, destination. Trust and obey. Good luck!

 
At Thursday, April 28, 2005 8:21:00 AM, Blogger Tina Helmuth said...

I don't have much to say. Just letting you know that your writer friend is still around. I pray that these transition months are a time of gathering strength and wisdom for the next chapter.

 
At Thursday, April 28, 2005 8:55:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know we vary wildly in our assessment of life and death and your God and my Goddess, but there are commonalities. I am going through much of what you are now, or have in the past. My beliefs are that in the evolution of the soul men and women must experience as much as possible, the good and the bad. Death, like any other ending, is but a new beginning. We experience the All one little piece at a time, good or bad. Everything holds a lesson. Everything happens for a reason. Just remember, that for every door God closes, he (or she) leaves a window open. You're choice is to see this crucible for what it is... will you come out bright, ready to be hammered into beauty, or will you come out sludge that isn't fit for horseshoes...

This is the time of rebirth. This is the time of the cryssalis. Through it comes growth, but only after the little death. We die a little each day such that we may live when the opportunities present themselves.

Hang in there.

~E

 
At Thursday, April 28, 2005 12:25:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you would have given me a moment's notice, I would have gone to your party!!

I think its bout time you followed your calling. That will not be the one thing that magically makes your life feel better, but there is a certain sense of satisfaction knowing that you are following the will of God. I think the type of problems you are currently experiencing are of the good kind. I have seen much worse that you have faced, this should be a cake walk, and this is like a ice cream cake from TCBY, so you got it..... MADE.

His peace be with you bro.

DK

 

Post a Comment

<< Home