8.03.2005

Today Was My Birthday.


"Birthdays are good for you.
Statistics show that the people who
have the most live the longest."
~~Father Larry Lorenzoni~~

So, today was my birthday.

Birthday’s ought to always be enchanting. Remember when Mom and Dad would go all out for you? They’d make the entire day all about you! And when your siblings would whine and forget this fact, they would swiftly be reprimanded and reminded that they too would get a special day, or that they had been treated as king or queen of the day upon the event of their own birthday recently passed. And as well they should! What would they be doing on this day if it weren’t for your presence? Probably the same mundane thing they normally did. Surely, cake and ice cream, balloons, presents, clowns, and pony rides are not the norm. And every friend knew weeks in advance when the party was. For Clifford, the Big Red Dog, Barbie, or Power Rangers announced the momentous occasion on brightly colored invitations. Birthday parties are to children what weddings are to adults.

Today I worked on the yard. I dug up the side of the house and laid seed. I took some breathers and chatted online for a bit. I downloaded some music from a cool band called, Sleeping At Last (now touring with Switchfoot). My younger brother called and said, “Happy Birthday” before having to run. My older brother IM’d and wished me the same before heading off to bed (He’s stationed in Korea). My sister forgot. My mom called around 10:30PM. Josh and our friend, Craig, took me out for hamburgers at Red Coat Tavern in Birmingham, Michigan. Then Josh and I went home and played a raucous game of “What’s The Number One Most Downloaded Song by a Particular Artist on I-Tunes?” (Josh invented this game.) I thought it would be dumb, but it ended up being rather fun. My friends, Dave and Marlena, made it a point of coming over for a little bit to join in the festivities which, of course, made it so much more fun. I'd have never guessed Britney Spear's #1 most downloaded song was 'Do Somethin'. But, now I know.


As I age, birthdays seem to be losing their luster. I try to get excited. I exclaimed to my neighbor, “It’s my birthday!” and it sounded utterly childish, giddy. For weeks beforehand, I reminded everyone what day it was. I’m not sad that a lot of them forgot to call. I wasn’t sad that my secret hope of a surprise party being the reason people didn’t call was not realized. I’m not sad that I wasn’t flooded with presents or anything. Maybe this is growing up. When we are children birthdays are a precious declaration, “I exist! I am here!” When we grow up, though, we put childish things away.

I’m still here. I have no intention of going anywhere. Today I realized I’ve got some friends who I love and cherish being with. Today I realized I love the headaches and stomachaches that come from laughing too hard. Today I realized something as simple as a stupid game can bring me joy. Today was my birthday. Who knows what tomorrow holds?

6 Comments:

At Wednesday, August 03, 2005 10:59:00 PM, Blogger Jenny Veleke said...

Happy Birthday!! For your birthday today I made homemade banana bread...sure was good. Glad to know you enjoyed your special day.

 
At Wednesday, August 03, 2005 11:04:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm so glad that your birthday turned out so well! It's a wonderful thing to be able to enjoy the gifts you have in the friendship of others.

 
At Thursday, August 04, 2005 10:18:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, Happy Birthday! I know I'm late and that's lame, but still... Happy Birthday! Repeat this and picture like a noise make or horn in the background. It makes it much more fun!

Anyway, I totally hear you on this birthday note. The older we get, the weirder this birthday thing gets. After 21, it only matters when you hit a new decade. When we're little, the whole day revolves around us. Now, we have jobs, our friends have jobs, and no longer are we the king or queen for the day. Bummer.

A couple close friends to celebrate with is great, and I'm glad your day included that.

 
At Thursday, August 04, 2005 1:23:00 PM, Blogger Rebecca said...

I totally felt the birthday let down this year. It wasn't a bad birthday, but certainly not the "queen for the day" type from my youth.

Happy Birthday! I'm glad you were able to share your day with friends.

 
At Saturday, August 06, 2005 11:24:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YOUR MOM SAYS:I so enjoyed the smiles that this blog brought. I agree with the person who says that only the decades matter now. LOL Each decade now, I can pinch myself and sigh a sigh of relief that I am still here. And the older I get the younger the age becomes.

So keep pinching and sighing the sigh that you are still here because these years keep going faster and faster. That's what REALLY makes birthdays SPECIAL THESE DAYS!!! lol

 
At Sunday, August 07, 2005 10:05:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Calvin! Sorry we couldn't meet up with you at Atwater, but I hope you had a good time.

May you be blessed with many more birthdays.

Stephanie (Shannon's friend)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home